Sunday 28 January 2018

beware the apparent victory

To my dear soldier-in-the-Lord. 

I have received news that you seem to be doing well! It’s seems to be a bit of time that you have gone without displeasing the Lord in that particular way you often fall prey to. Praise the Lord for His protection thus far. Dear brother, do be encouraged and strive to further the fight as we look towards the hope of glory together (:

My heart is pleased and my soul is warm. Yet I write to you as one who has re-entered the enemy’s inner courts too many a time. I know the next temptation that will befall you all too well. Therefore, I must see to it that you be ever aware of this.

For it is written: “So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!”

Beware the apparent victory you have over the accuser now. None of us are completely free from the marauding sin in the heart. For it takes a mere tweaking of the pitchfork, an alteration in his devious schemes, to ensnare you within the self-spun web of self-righteousness. You’d be crawling back to your phone in a matter of days.

Recall, dear friend, that it was never by your will, nor effort, that you gained this foothold against the roaring lion. Only by the undeserved provision of your Redeemer, were you able to walk thus far. Do not be deceived.

I command you, precious comrade, to rally the troops. Never allow the impending fight to reduce your men to cowering worms. Be nourished by the God-breathed words handed down since generations past, and they will be strong. Nothing in Scripture is written in vain, and it is indeed our wisdom and duty, dear friend, to learn from it.

The truth is, oh dear heart of mine, my security against sin is found in my distrust of you. I’d be lying if I denied the anguish awash upon my soul now. Sometimes it’s the civil wars that hurt the most. But it has to be. For you have led me nowhere but into the slough over and over again.

For this reason, I yearn for the day that you and I might be reconciled when the Maker hammers you into glorious conformity to His perfect design. Whilst I endure the wait, my assurance is this, that my faithful King will never allow temptation beyond what I can bear. At the height of its apparent unbearableness lies the escape route He has paved for me to slip. How merciful is the Almighty indeed!

Keep at it. Remember the enemy seeks to war against our soul. Fight to flee.


May the Lord find us faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment